- Title Pages
- List of abbreviations
- Introduction This England: race, nation, patriotism
- Chapter 1 The politics of religion and the religion of politics in Elizabethan England
- Chapter 2 The Elizabethan exclusion crisis and the Elizabethan polity
- Chapter 3 Servants and citizens: Robert Beale and other Elizabethans
- Chapter 4 Pulling the strings: religion and politics in the progress of 1578
- Chapter 5 Elizabeth I and the verdicts of history
- Chapter 6 Biblical rhetoric: the English nation and national sentiment in the prophetic mode
- Chapter 7 John Foxe and national consciousness
- Chapter 8 Truth, lies and fiction in sixteenth-century Protestant historiography
- Chapter 9 One of us? William Camden and the making of history
- Chapter 10 William Camden and the anti-myth of Elizabeth: setting the mould?
- Chapter 11 John Stow and nostalgic antiquarianism
- This England
- Manchester University Press
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.