- Title Pages
- 1 ‘Acceptable words’
- 2 ‘The speechless dead’: <i>King Log</i> (1968)
- 3 Poet, lover, liar: ‘Lachrimae’ (1975)
- 4 ‘Our love is what we love to have’: <i>Tenebrae</i> (1978)
- 5 Things and words: <i>The Mystery of the Charity of Charles Péguy</i> (1983)
- 6 History as poetry: ‘Churchill's Funeral’ and ‘De Jure Belli ac Pacis’ (<i>Canaan</i>, 1996)
- 7 The Triumph of Love (1998)
- 8 ‘Beauty is difficult’: <i>Speech! Speech!</i> (2000)
- 9 ‘Here and there I pull a flower’: <i>The Orchards of Syon</i> (2002)
- 10 ‘In wintry solstice like the shorten'd light’: Scenes from Comus (2005)
- 11 Afterword: ‘“I have not finished”’
- Works by Geoffrey Hill
- Acceptable Words
- Manchester University Press
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.