- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Sources for the English medieval road system
- 3 Once a highway, always a highway
- 4 When things break
- 5 The word on the street
- 6 Getting there
- 7 The function of material and spiritual roads in the English eremitic tradition
- 8 The royal itinerary and roads in England under Edward I
- 9 The pilgrimage road in late medieval English literature
- 10 The romance of the road in <i>Athelston</i> and two late medieval Robin Hood ballads
- 11 London
- 12 Conquest, roads and resistance in medieval Wales
- 13 Trackless, impenetrable and underdeveloped? Roads, colonization and environmental transformation in the Anglo-Scottish border zone, c. 1100 to c. 1300
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.