- Title Pages
- List of abbreviations and conventions
- Chapter 1 Filmer: his life and cultural interests
- Chapter 2 From Kent with anger: <i>Patriarcha</i> versus Thomas Scott's country patriotism<sup>1</sup>
- Chapter 3 Filmer's patriarchalism versus Jesuit political ideas
- Chapter 4 Filmer's patriarchalism in context: ‘popularity’, King James VI and I, Parliament and monarchists
- Chapter 5 Writing in the early Caroline regime and the issue of <i>Patriarcha</i>'s non-publication
- Chapter 6 Filmer in the 1640s and 1650s: political troubles and intellectual activism
- Chapter 7 Publishing in the Exclusion Crisis (1679–81): <i>Patriarcha</i> between fatherhood and fatherland
- Chapter 8 <i>Much ado about nothing?</i> Edmund Bohun's rehabilitation of <i>Patriarcha</i>, the issue of allegiance and Adamite anti-republicanism
- Chapter 9 Patriarchalism versus patriotism in practice: <i>patriarcha</i> from the Rye House Plot (1683) to the Glorious Revolution (1688–89)
- Appendix 1 The treasury of the scholar: Filmer's library
- Select bibliography
- Sir Robert Filmer (1588-1653) and the Patriotic Monarch
- Manchester University Press
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.