- Title Pages
- To Helen and Les Prior
- List of Illustrations
- List of Abbreviations
- General Editor'S Introduction
- Chapter One The construction of a governing corps
- Chapter Two An imperial education
- Chapter Three Individualism, intrigue and <i>esprit de corps</i>
- Chapter Four Envisioning imperial authority: power, ritual and knowledge
- Chapter Five Implementing colonial change: economics, infrastructure and education
- Chapter Six Managing social and political change: tradition, modernity and indirect rule
- Exporting empire
- Manchester University Press
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.