- Title Pages
- Introduction: More new diplomatic history
- Part I The structure of a service
- 1 Why diplomacy?
- 2 Entrance, training and promotion
- 3 Family, sex and marriage
- Part II Of cabbages and kings
- 4 Etiquette and ‘face’
- 5 Favourites and flunkeys
- 6 Gossips, networks and news
- Part III Beyond the call of duty
- 7 The Grand Tour
- 8 From ancients to moderns
- 9 War, ethnography and religion
- Conclusion: Diplomacy transformed?
- Appendix A Male diplomats, 1750–1830
- Appendix B Female diplomats, 1750–1830
- Select primary source bibliography
- The Culture of Diplomacy
- Manchester University Press
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.