- Title Pages
- Series editor's preface
- Copyright acknowledgements
- A. S. Byatt: biographical outline
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Fathers, sisters and the anxiety of influence: The Shadow of the Sun and The Game
- 3 Writing the contemporary: The Virgin in the Garden and Still Life
- 4 Two cultures: Babel Tower and A Whistling Woman
- 5 Tradition and transformation: Possession and fairytales
- 6 The dark side of the tale: The Children's Book, The Biographer's Tale and Angels and Insects
- 7 Critical storytelling: peopling the paper house
- I. Novels and collected short fiction by A. S. Byatt (First UK editions only)
- II. Uncollected short fiction by A. S. Byatt (First date and place of publication only)
- III. Collected non-fiction by A. S. Byatt (First UK edition only)
- IV. Selected uncollected non-fiction by A. S. Byatt (excludes journalism, reviews, art criticism and broadcasts except pieces directly quoted in this volume)
- V. Books edited by A. S. Byatt
- VI. Selected interviews with A. S. Byatt
- VII. Selected reviews of A. S. Byatt's fiction
- VIII. Selected criticism of A. S. Byatt's fiction
- IX. Other works cited
Manchester Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.